Thursday, January 29, 2009

Skiing

Ever since I was very small, I have been an avid nordic skier.  I can't even remember the first time I tried on skis (I was probably three or four), but in the past couple years the sport has taken over my life, in a way.  Not that I am frustrated or anything, I enjoy every moment, but I have developed a passion for the sport.
After about ten years of skiing with my family, I finally decided to join Central's team in eighth grade.  It was probably one of the better decisions of my life.  I went to the first on-snow practice and discovered that all my previous experience was worth while: I was one of the top five or so athletes.  But my first actual race, a relay, was excruciating.  I was completely overwhelmed by juniors and seniors in high school, who were strong and fast.  Then there was me, who had hardly ran more than a mile at a time before the fall.  Anyways, that race was very motivating, as it opened my eyes to how hard I would have to work and how much improving I really had to do.  So I worked pretty hard the rest of the season, and got about 50th in both conference and sections, the two most important races of the year.
After last year (a disappointing season on many standpoints) I have set my goals high for the upcoming sections race (in which you can punch your ticket to the state championships).  I have worked very rigorously this season, and become a whole lot stronger than before.  I also made the wise choice of running cross country in the fall, for conditioning, and right now I might even be in the best shape of my life.  Over the summer I took a special program for ski training, and it paid off with a 13th place finish in the conference championship race.  Tuesday is the sections race.  This year my chances of going to state are actually realistic, and I have the chance of achieving my ultimate goal.

2 comments:

L. M. Peifer said...

I hope it went well today!

Tyler Dixon said...

Thomas very good use of language to describe ur effort towards nordic skiing. Two thumbs up