Thursday, November 13, 2008

Technology

Only very recently did I, Thomas Kendrick, start to discover the 
wonders of technology. See, until I was about eleven,the only 
computer my family ever owned was a rickety old pc that my uncle 
decided he didn't want anymore. He got rid of it for a reason, 
though. The thing was practically ancient, and the only application
my family could even get close to working was the word processor
(and even this took more than a week to figure out). So until about
sixth grade, my technological life was pretty minimal.
Finally, in sixth grade, my family came around and purchased an 
emac, the wonder of its day. We had no internet connection (we 
still don't, in fact), but the new computer was very convenient for 
typing up homework assignments. I still print all my papers off 
this appliance, actually, and it's been very good to me over the years.
Even with this new computer, however, I still didn't spend very 
much time glaring into the screen. There was only one game we had 
that even looked mildly amusing (Tony Hawk), but its time on our 
computer was cut short after my dad discarded it time when my little
brother kept playing it for hours on end when he wasn't supposed to. 
So from that point on the only time I was ever on the computer was 
to type up an assignment for school.
Then, in the summer before ninth grade, an event happened 
that would change my life forever: my dad had received a laptop 
from his work. It is a MacBook, with all the upgraded operating 
systems and everything. I was soon thrilled to find out as well that 
on this technological wonder we could access the internet, using the 
neighbor's wireless outlets. This was one of the best things to ever 
happen to my family tech-wise, as now my father and I are probably 
online almost a combined hour on a daily basis.
Though my house has been home to the wonderful internet for 
over a year now, only the past month have I really taken advantage 
of the new possibilities. I actually got an email account (other than 
the school's which I never used anyways) last month, and now 
check it virtually every night.  Also, two weeks ago I decided to 
finally get a facebook after being encouraged to by friends for about 
half a year.
I continue my new exploits with the world wide web in getting 
this blog. I have never had one before, as you might expect, or even 
read one in the past. I am excited regardless, though, and hope to 
update frequently and have some fun. It sounds kind of cool, 
actually, writing whatever you want and having an audience of 
followers spread out all over the world.

2 comments:

L. M. Peifer said...

Excellent post!

Big Ian said...

Well, I can easily sympathize on the facebook thing (I just got one myself earlier this week, as you know), and my family and I didn't have internet until about 1999 or so (but we didn't upgrade to dsl until sometime last year) all in all, pretty good blog.